Keep prized possessions safely (and stylishly) tucked away with our 10 favorite modern storage solutions. Offering something for pack rat and minimalist alike, and featuring a range of handsome modern credenzas, cabinets, and sideboards, these inspired designs have both the looks and the smarts to keep things beautifully buttoned up.
Modern Sideboards & Buffets
10 Modern Credenzas Pack Rats Will Love
First Impressions: 5 Attention-Getting Entryway Ideas
Making a grand entrance is a breeze when you focus on a few key elements.
Why Choose a Modern Sideboard?
A multifunctional design that keeps your space neat and organized, while providing ample storage, display, and serving space, modern sideboards are the perfect accent piece to balance out your dining room and keep everything you need at your fingertips. Also called buffets, modern sideboards are designed to provide ample storage for your formal and special occasion dishes, flatware, linens and other decor pieces you use seasonally. It also serves as a surface area for placing dishes for display or trays of food for serving during meals. While sideboards are most often found in a dining room, they also make great storage options for living rooms, entryways, and hallways as a functional display piece. At 2Modern, we offer a wide selection of sideboards, buffets, and storage cabinets ready to keep your dining pieces and decor stored away in style.
How to Choose the Perfect Sideboard?
- Use a mid-century modern sideboard or buffet to reimagine your retro tastes. Whether you choose to play up the textures, the colors (or both) associated with mid-century designs, your new sideboard will make an eye-catching addition to your contemporary space.
- Incorporate a farmhouse-style buffet into your dining room to create an inviting, warm atmosphere.
- Curate a minimalist modern dining area with a Scandinavian sideboard. Danish designs evoke simplicity, functionality and welcoming style.
- Use a wooden sideboard to combine the timeless texture and durability of wood with a completely contemporary design.
- Make an ultra-modern choice with a stone or marble buffet. Marble is a unique and incredibly popular material that offers a sleek and chic appearance perfect for high-end dining spaces. Marble sideboards also come in interesting, eye-catching shapes and colors, adding an artistic component to your space.
- Opt for a design that incorporates metal elements to add a touch of industrial charm, like the Haze Sideboard with its casual demeanor and ample storage space.
- Opt for neutral, earthy browns to increase the depth and warmth of your room. Brown tones are easy to pair with tables, chairs, and decor of any color and style.
- Choose a multi-color sideboard to make a bold statement. Whether it’s a colorblocked design, a whimsical pattern, or a more subtle splash of two-tone contrast, colorful buffets can redefine the entire mood of your space.
- Use a white sideboard buffet to bring a fresh, chic touch to your dining room. White designs tend to highlight the shape and style of the piece in an unbeatable way.
- Go for a gray buffet for its subdued and stylish tone. Gray is easy to coordinate with any color scheme, and it complements a variety of decor.
- Select a black design for a sleek, modern, high-contrast look. Black is a bold and contemporary choice.
How do I Incorporate a Sideboard Into My Dining Space?
After you’ve decided on the color, size, material, and style of buffet or sideboard that works best for your dining room and suits your tastes, you’ll want to put some thought into how the sideboard will be utilized in your space and more importantly, how you are going to decorate your new modern sideboard. If your new buffet features glass doors or open shelving, styling the shelves will have an impressive impact on your room. Even if you’re just decorating the top of your sideboard, you’ll want to carefully select each piece to design a textured, layered, cohesive look.
First, think about the location of your sideboard. Is it going to be up against a spacious wall? Used as a space divider in large, open space? Will it be behind your dining room table or on the side? Typically buffets sit close to your dining table to make setting the table and serving as easy as possible, though if you have multiple sideboards in your space, one may be filled with dinnerware and flatware, while the other can hold seasonal decor you use for special occasions.
With modern sideboards from incredible brands like Copeland Furniture, Saloom Furniture, Gus, Cappellini, BDI, Blu Dot, Ethnicraft, and so many others, you’ll find the perfect buffet to suit your space and your specific style.
What Else to Think About When Buying a Modern Sideboard or Buffet Table?
Overall, when selecting a modern sideboard or buffet, you can choose to go with a style that fully matches your current dining room furniture or decide to be different and go bold. If looking to match your current dining room furniture, look for a sideboard in a similar finish with minimal detailing to keep things nice and neutral. This will ensure your space looks classy and timeless for generations.
You also want to take size into consideration both in terms of fitting into your dining room or space and for the amount of storage you require. The larger your dining room, the larger your sideboard can be. For smaller spaces, one or two door designs work best to give you enough space for storing dinnerware, flatware, and linens. For larger spaces, opt for three or even four door designs out buffets equipped with multiple drawers and storage spaces to ensure ample room for storage and display needs. Remember, this is a multifunctional design that is going to provide you both storage space and surface area for displaying and serving, so make sure it works as best as possible for your space.
Modern Sideboards & Buffets FAQs
- What is a Sideboard?
A modern sideboard (also called a buffet or credenza) is a piece of furniture that is commonly used in the dining room to keep your dinnerware, flatware, and table linens neatly stored away. Sideboards have a large, flat top surface with ample storage in a cabinet or drawer below. They are the perfect furniture piece for small and large dining spaces to aid in serving buffet-style meals, and while they are excellent for storing table linens, holiday dishes, serveware, they are also a great place to put your favorite decor and serving pieces on display. With a long design and a low profile, sideboards are a functional and stylish addition to your modern dining room.
- What is the Difference Between a Sideboard, Buffet, and Credenza?
The terms “sideboard” and “buffet” are often used interchangeably to describe similar pieces of furniture. While the differences vary only slightly, the general idea is that sideboards and buffets are storage pieces that are equipped with doors and drawers that typically extend down to the floor. Credenzas do not typically have these features. Buffets tend to have higher legs, while sideboards will have shorter legs, closer to the ground. No matter what you call it, a modern sideboard or buffet is a fantastic storage solution for any dining room..
- How to Decorate a Sideboard?
Now that you’ve chosen the perfect sideboard for your space, you’ll want to know how to make it look its best. You’ll want to create symmetry without making each side a mirror image of the other. An eclectic look is most interesting to the eye. Try to incorporate decor pieces with varying heights, shapes, and colors. Could be a favorite serving platter you like to display, collectible dishes, vases full of flowers, or even silver chafing dishes. If you’re unsure what to add, take inspiration from our collection of home decor. A mirror above your sideboard or buffet can add dimension and depth, while picture frames bring a personal touch, a sleek lamp adds function and style, and a vase or planter is a great way to bring a touch of biophilic beauty to the space. Rearrange your pieces until you find a balance that appeals to you. In interior design, groups of three are recommended. You’ll want to strike a balance that makes a well-appointed statement without overwhelming your buffet or your room.
Top Products: Corridor Quad Cabinet by BDI | Corridor Credenza by BDI | Corridor Double Cabinet by BDI | Nordic 2-Door Sideboard by Ethnicraft | Blackbird 3-Door Sideboard by Ethnicraft | Treasures 3-Door Cabinet by UMAGE | Treasures 2-Door Cabinet by UMAGE | Kiki Cabinet by Jonathan Adler | Caprice Sideboard by Four Hands | Carmel Sideboard by Four Hands | Sorrento Sideboard by Four Hands | Elements Quad Media Cabinet by BDI