The dining table should be a place where you can bond with the ones you love and revel in a day well-spent. Whether you are sharing a fabulous meal you spent hours preparing, or a mountain of take-out from just down the street, our top 20 selections of expandable dining tables inspire nights at home building on traditions, old and new.
Modern Extendable Dining Tables
Top 20 Modern Expandable Dining Tables
Top 20 Contemporary Dining Tables
Whether round, square, or rectangular; wood, metal, or marble, our favorite contemporary dining tables are timeless designs, built to outlast trends and fashion.
Quickly add seating space with an extendable dining table
If you have a large family or you love to host dinner parties, an extendable dining table is essential. The extendable dining table is beloved for its ability to accommodate every guest with ease, then quickly return to its more compact size. Convenience and practicality are the key characteristics that win over even the most discerning and stylish buyer.
How to choose the perfect extendable dining table
The table is the heart of your dining room and, oftentimes, your entire home. Weighing these options can help you determine which table is right for you.
- A drop leaf table features ends that collapse down to create extra space when you have fewer guests.
- A traditional table extension comes with one or more leaves, which need to be stored when not in use. When the time comes, just pull the table apart and insert the leaves for additional seating around the table.
- Butterfly leaf extensions are leaves that are attached to the table. They fold in half and conveniently store under the tabletop.
- Stow leaf table extensions are handy because they store under the end(s) of your table. When you need additional space at the table, just raise the extensions into position.
- Choose a table that allows for at least 36” of space to move around.
- Allow about 2’ of space for each person you plan to seat around the table.
- If you’re limited on space and you prefer a round or square table, choose a size of 3’ to 4’. A table of this size will comfortably seat 4 people. A 6' oval or rectangular table will allow 6 guests.
- If you would prefer to seat 6 to 8 people, opt for a 5’ square or round or an 8’ oval or rectangular table.
- A large table can make a statement in a spacious dining room. For larger families or those who host parties more often, a large extendable table is a must-have. Use a 6’ round or square table to seat 8 people, or a 10’ oval or rectangular table for 10 seats around the table.
Use a round table to maximize space in a smaller dining area. A round extendable table will become an oval when a leaf is added.
Extendable rectangular tables are a great way to fill a larger dining room, then expand to allow for even more family, friends, and space at the table.
- Square tables are great for singles, couples, and smaller families. Once extended, a square table will become a guest-accommodating rectangle.
- Wood is a classic favorite for a reason. Extendable wooden tables are popular for their durable and functional style with heirloom-worthy quality.
- Metal is a durable material that evokes industrial flair. It is a sturdy and reliable material that can add a unique ambiance to your home.
- You might be surprised to find glass as an option for extendable dining tables. However, it is a durable, versatile material that can lend a modern touch to your dining area.
Our how-to guide can provide even more insight on choosing a table size that works best for you, your space, and your lifestyle. Also check out our best extendable dining tables for additional inspiration.
Anchoring your stylish dining room with an extendable table
An extendable dining table is the ideal way to make the most of your dining space. You’ll be the first to volunteer to host holiday and dinner gatherings, and your dining room will be used to its full capacity whenever the need arises. 2Modern offers a wide variety of stylish, modern extendable tables to suit your one-of-a-kind taste. Pair your table with a dining bench, chairs, and a sideboard from 2Modern for a completely unique look.
Top Products: Bok Extendable Dining Table by Ethnicraft | Mirabelle Dining Table by Bernhardt | Mascotte Multipurpose Extension Coffee/Dining Table by Connubia | Double Extendable Dining Table by Ethnicraft | Bok Round Extendable Dining Table by Ethnicraft | Slice Extendable Dining Table by Ethnicraft | Santa Barbara Rectangular Dining Table by Bernhardt | Ribambelle Extendable Dining Table by Fermob | Eminence Extending Table by Connubia | Bevel Extendable Dining Table by Ferm Living | Harper Extension Dining Table by Four Hands | Annex Extendable Dining Table by Gus