Poul Henningsen designed the three-shade system during 1925/1926. The first lights using the system were designed for an exhibition in Paris. His work with Louis Poulsen continued until his death in 1967. Throughout his life, PH sought to create glare-free lighting; aiming to direct light where it was most needed, and creating soft shadows while using incandescent bulbs as a light source. The four-shade system was launched in 1931 to create a fixture that could be mounted high up and serve as an alternative to the commonly used chandeliers. The PH four-shade fixture was designed to increase the amount of light emitted horizontally to provide greater illumination of walls and shelves than was possible using standard three-shade lights. It was removed from the Louis Poulsen standard range in the 1940s, but was redesigned in 1979 by Danish architects, Sophus Frandsen and Ebbe Christensen, for the Charlottenborg exhibition building in Copenhagen. To resolve the never ending glare problem, the two architects decided to add a small blue shade to the design. They also included a new surface with a more mattee, white painted shade, to achieve a more even, comfortable light, ideal for museums and exhibition rooms or as general lighting in rooms with high ceilings.
Designed by Poul Henningsen.
- PH Collection
- Designed by Poul Henningsen
- Designed on principle of reflective three-shade system directing the majority of the light downwards
- Underside of shade is painted white
- 120V E26 (medium base) type A23 Incandescent lamp (watts pending on size of fixture) can also be used
- UL Listed
- Available in White finish
- Quick Ship
- UL Listed
Materials Shades: Spun aluminum.
Struts: Rolled aluminum.
- Overall: 18.3 in Dia x 12.5 in H
- Cord Length: 144 in
- 1 x 22W 120V E26 (medium base) type A21 LED lamp (not included)
SKU5741907768 GTIN5703411116487 Catalog ID 14463156 Reference ID "Louis Poulsen PH 5-4½ Pendant" (Stock ID 11159470089)
Shipping DetailsShipping Cost: Free
Ships via 2Modern Standard Delivery.
Cancellation PolicyIf you need to cancel an order, we understand... that happens. Please just notify us as quickly as possible so you can be refunded 100%. If an item has already shipped (shipping timeframes vary, so please review item’s product page), customer will incur shipping charges which will be deducted from your refund, since the item has already been packaged and routed, charges for which 2Modern will not be reimbursed from shipping companies.Return Policy2Modern has a generous and convenient return policy, accommodating product returns within 30 days. The only exception is with customized orders, noted on individual product pages. Please see further details on our Return Policy page.
- Delivery: Standard shipping provides delivery to the front door of a residence or dock of a commercial building. The delivery team will transport the item(s) from the truck to the first available dry, protected area outside your home (front porch, garage, or similar).
- What's Included: Standard Delivery includes delivery to the front door. If the destination is a multi-unit building, the order may be delivered inside the entrance to the building, but not to specific apartment door. In some cases, a signature may be required. Please note: this option does not include inside delivery to room of choice, unpacking, assembly, or removal of packing debris. Please contact Customer Service at (888) 222-4410 if additional delivery options are needed.
Contact Customer Service
Have a question about this product? Need help finding something? Our expert Customer Service team is here to help. Give us a call at (888) 222-4410 or email us.